Subject: Re: Re[2]: M6 problem "survey"
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 97 11:39:01 -0400

>Is it just me or does this response strike you as not much different than
>the kid at 7 eleven telling you he doesn't have time to check the dates on
>the bottles of milk when he restocks the shelves?

Tom,

What is the problem? He promised that he would find out the answer to
Alistair's question when he got back from his business trip.

The other part of the letter asked Alistair not to give out his email
address, explaining how he doesn't want to become every LUG member's
personal pen-pal. I think he was trying to be very polite about this. As
he took pains to explain, tech support and one-on-one customer relations
are not his job. In spite of this, his is helping.

To use your analogy, the fact that the kid doesn't want his address given
out to thousands of 7-Eleven customers is a separate issue from whether
or not he is checking the dates on milk bottles. If the kid is going to
do his job, being called up by large numbers of people who want to chat
about the butterfat content of the milk or discuss the bokeh of bottle
glass is not going to be welcome.

I don't see any reason to complain yet. Give him time to answer
Alistair's question, as he promised, before you jump on him.

- - Paul