Subject: RE: film try others also
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 9:54:48 -0500

Lucian wrote:

>Birkey,

>Have you ever tried AGFA RSX? It constantly outperforms most of what
Kodak
>and FUJI put out.
>And how about OPTIMA? A lot of pros swear by it!
>I hate the fact that you cut out the smaller guys from your "can't go
>wrong with" list.

I have used  various AGFA films and have yet to find one that I prefer
over anything I use of Kodak or FUJI  I tested some of the print film a
couple of months ago as a possible replacement to FUJI Super HGV as we
were offered the film locally at a very substantial discount.  The
results were lacking and just not as sharp.

I've heard good comments on the AGFA APX BW but it's too slow for my
work.  Besides that I've got everything calibrated for T-max and I'm
not going to switch now.

I shot a couple rolls of their slide film about 6 years ago after a rep
tried to convince me that it was quite good and gave me some free.  And
after viewing the results, I've not bought any since.  I develop a
couple rolls of recent  AGFA film every so often as we have a German
language shortwave radio department.  The color just doesn't do an
adequate job in portraying what colors look like in Ecuador.
Ektachrome isn't much better here and Kodachrome users cry when they
get back their slides.

My dad and my two brothers are a bit stubborn about using Kodachrome
and refused my warnings.  All three have visited me at different times
and all three were very disappointed with the results.  This last time
my oldest brother ran out of film, so I gave him some Provia.  Now he
believes me.

Kodachrome is a great film and I used to use it exclusively in the
states.  It just doesn't deliver here.

Some people like ILFORD films. I don't.   I've used them all in small
amounts.   I used a lot of Delta 400 when I first got here (we had 6 -
100ft rolls).  Hated it and haven't re-ordered any.   (I do use mostly
ILFORD BW paper though)

KONICA, tried a couple rolls, even worse.

Anything made by 3M or Scotch, The worst.  Well.... Lucky Color is
actually the worst I've seen.

I left off the smaller, less available brands because I haven't had or
seen good results from them and in my opinion they don't fit in the
"you can't go wrong by using them" category.

As I said, there are lots of different films available and everyone has
an opinion on what's best.  My opinion will conflict with others,
that's to be expected.  If you prefer the results from non-FUJI/Kodak
films, super, I'm glad for you.  But I don't.

The JOBO is calling......

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador