Subject: Re: New R8 Ad!
From: "shawnl@earthlink.net" <shawnl@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 00:11:10 -0400

>Overall, and counting text, it's an OK ad. Odd, though, that it would be
>placed in a lifestyles of the self-indulgent-type magazine, rather than a
>photo mag.  Mmmmm.

A photo mag might seem to be the more rational choice at first, but on
the other hand, I know of several Leicas sitting in closets unused
without ever having 10 rolls of film put through them.  Many well-heeled
people who know nothing of cameras and ask a salesman which is the best
of the best end up walking out the door with a Leica.  They attempt to
shoot a few rolls of film with their new status symbol, but quickly grow
tired of the chore of manual focusing and are stumped by all those little
numbers on the body and lens.  That is no match for their irritation when
they get the first roll of film back and find that not one in ten frames
is in focus and properly exposed.  After a few more rolls of the same,
they either sell the camera at a loss (good for real camera enthusiasts)
or refuse to admit defeat and shelve it.