Subject: Re: New R8 Ad!
From: Edward Meyers <aghalide@panix.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 10:42:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Roger Beamon wrote:

> On 10 Sep 97,  David W. Almy wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >Odd, though, that it would be placed in a lifestyles of the
> >self-indulgent-type magazine, rather than a photo mag.  Mmmmm.
>
> Ah, the new sin, self-indulgence! Best that we disband this list and
> all go to entry level Canon, Nikon, Minolta et al.
>
> --
> Roger Beamon
>        Naturalist & Photographer
>        Leica Historical Society Of America
>        mailto:beamon@primenet.com
>
>           Thought for the day:
>       Intuition (n): an uncanny sixth sense which tells people
>       that they are right, whether they are or not.

The theory behind advertising in non-photo magazines is that the
photo enthusiasts already know about the expensive cameras. Ad
agencies for the camera makers show that they can expand the
market with these upscale magazine ads. Also, by advertising
in more markets, the ad agencies get more fees, as their fees
are usually based on the amount of money they spend, in
addition to the costs of producing the ads.The down-side of
selling expensive cameras to people who don't need them and
who cannot even learn to use them properly is that they don't
necessarily buy additional bodies or even other lenses. And
from what I have been told by the camera makers, profit is
made mostly on the lenses. Ed Meyers