Subject: Re: Noctilux ???s
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 10:27:38 -0500

At 01:23 PM 9/11/97 +0200, you wrote:

>as far as I know have all Noctillux 1.0/50 Versions the same optics
>The newest version has a built in hood which is smaller and does not
>hinder the view through the finder that much.

That is correct, back to the origin of the 1.0 design. There was a 1.2
Noctilux. I got to play with Alfred Eisenstadt's 1.2 Noctilux. Nice lens,
with an aspheric element. But it's reportedly not as good as the new one,
which didn't need an aspheric element because of the "noctilux" glass that
Leica created for it.

Since then, the noctilux glass is in lots more lenses, including five of
the seven elements in the 1.4 Apo Converter R. A good reason this converter
is able to be used with the 280 Apo Telyt with no apparent loss of image
quality. (There's got to be some, but where it goes, nobody knows!) ;-)

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO