Subject: Re: Noctilux 50/1 versus 50/1,2
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 00:24:09 -0500

At 01:06 PM 9/12/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Every authority I know claims the f/1.2 Noctilux is a substantially better
>performer than the f/1 version.  The oestensible reason for the f/1.0 lens'

I know some people just think older is better. And MTF curves are not going
to tell the whole story. I've talked to pros who have used both lenses and
the qualities of the current lens, though they might not test out in most
tests with raw numbers that look better, when you see what gets on film,
it's magic.

Like I've said, (don't you hate people who quote themselves? <G>) I've seen
what the 1.2 can do directly, and am not that impressed. I have yet to use
the new lens myself, but after talking with many owners of that lens, I'd
find it hard to believe the old lens is better. In some ways, sure, but
overall is what counts.

Maybe it's true, maybe it isn't. I defer to your "authorities" but I don't
buy it completely. Leica usually makes lenses better when they upgrade them.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO