Subject: Re: HEKTOR 125/2.5
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 23:51:38 -0700

At 11:07 AM 9/13/97 +0800, Kai Ling OH wrote:

>I  am  looking  for  Leica  SLR  body.  I intend to use SLR along with my M
>outfit. The SLR is to use 35/4 shift lens, 180 lens, and for macro purpose.
>I have short listed the following:
>1.   SL - for fully mechanical and cheap
>2.   R3 - cheapest, may not as reliable as SL
>3.   R5 - saw one at around US$800, close to mint condition
>4.    R6.2  -  fully  mechanical, able to get a new one for US$1500. should
>hold it value better than R7.
>
>How should I choose. Help.

Choose only an R6, R6.2, R7, or R8 as they have Mirror lock-up. You will
need it with the 180 and for macro. I sold an R6 and an R4sp and bought two
R7's. The R7 & R8, besides having MLU, have 1/2 shutter speeds. You will
need this to bracket while in manual mode. I will never again own an SLR
that doesn't have both MLU & 1/2 shutter speeds. You can bracket without
1/2 shutter speeds, but you run the risk of screwing-up your depth of field
by using f/stops instead. Especially when doing macro work.

This is MHO.

Jim