Subject: Passport M6 for $1500 ?
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 08:24:01 -0700

Some data to add to the discussion on possible Leica price reductions:
My local Leica USA Dealer told me that the official dealer cost of an M6
was ( In March, 1997 ) $2200, in quantities of 1.  ( The dealer then passed
on the $500 rebate to the consumer, and was credited by Leica USA the $500
on his invoice.)   This made the cameras $1900-2000 retail and the
effective dealer cost $1700.

Now some calculations:
If I were to discount this cost of $2200 by 1/3, or roughly $730, this
would provide a cost of $1470.
If I were to take a resale of $2000, discount it by 30% Gross Margin, that
would also come up with a cost of $1400.  Looks like historical prices, the
business numbers aspect, and the reported new cost in Holand of $1500 all
line up.

Draw your own conclusions, but I would say that we might all be able to buy
a USA Passport M6 for $1500 later this year.

Thank You
Frank Filippone
red735i@worldnet.att.net