Subject: Re: Q: color slides after sunset
From: Harrison McClary <hmphoto@delphi.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 11:06:51 +0000

ABreull@aol.com wrote:

> When you take color slides after sunset, specially on cloudy days,
> usually
> everything becomes blue, although the eye percepts different, e.g.
> dark grey
> instead of blue clouds.

Ah the wonders of the human eye, able to go from various colored lights and
see the colors normally.

> Has anyone experiences on how many f stops the lens needs to be opened
> (compared to the lightmeter measurement), to get colors which agree to
> the
> human perception "approximately" - or do you need to estimate color
> temperature in any case and use color correction filters ?

Varying your f-stops will not change the color of the photo.  The reason you
are seeing so much blue in your photos is that the light is very blue.  The
best thing to do is to put a warming filter on your lens.  Look into the
filters in the 81 range (81 a, b. ef and others) or you may want to go as far
as the 85's - full tungsten conversion.  Try several different levels until
you get the look you like.  Also one thing I have done on occasion is to use a
magenta filter - the 30m I have for fluorescent conversion works well.  This
makes the sky a slight warm reddish color and gives the clouds that
purple/black/grey color that is so nice.  It is a very believable effect and
really helps if there are fluorescent or arc lights in the photo as it helps
to eliminate the ugly green color of those lights.
- --
Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto