Subject: Re: X vs. M or How to waste a day
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 23:43:53 -0700

At 09:20 PM 9/15/97 -0800, you wrote:
>LUGnuts:
>
>Just because there have been too few war stories these days (Ted, Fred,
>where are you?) I thought I would tell you how an old fashioned camera
>can waste a day.

>Now wasn't that story better than watching a rerun on television?
>
>Donal Philby
>San Diego

I tried this the other day with a story (not as fun as yours) about
shooting in Napa Valley... but there seemed to be little interest in
stories... I do like yours though. That's EXACTLY why I finally got out of
commercial photography. And I really didn't like the AD's breathing down my
neck. They never seem to understand that what they have pictured in their
mind (or sometimes in a drawing) is quite often photographically
impossible. Back when I was in that business, sometimes the only way to get
the desired product was via air brush. Now it's Photoshop. But they did not
want to pay for air brushing. I suspect it hasn't changed. The added cost
of digital probably sends them into orbit. Film, optics (even Leica
optics), and lights can only do so much... Aaron Jones' hosemaster is/was a
way to go a little farther without digital, but the look seems to have
gotten stale. There are a lot of used hosemasters on the market now.

Jim