Subject: Re: OFF TOPIC. Help with low light b/w and Tmax
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@instinet.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 12:11:05 -0400

Jim Zietz <jzietz@unix1.sncc.lsu.edu> writes:

> Is Fuji Neopan 1600 still available? I used to find that it gave the least
> build-up in highlights the least loss of shadow detail, but I haven't used
> it in years.

Oh, yeah!  I used to be fond of that;  pleasing image characteristics except
for (or including, depending on the desired effect at the time) practically
fist-sized grain.  A good film for the "snowstorm" look, although a piker
compared to the ultimate gimme-grain recipe I heard of and tried which
involved Tri-X in Dektol(!)

Remember the days before TMZ, and even Neopan 1600, when the high-speed tip
was Tri-X in HC-110 replenisher?

> > I had tried the XP2, it
> > wasn't bad, but the emulsion seemed to be very soft.  I always got it
> > back from various color labs with long fine scratches on the film.
>
> I have the same problem with all C41 films, plus I worry about the archival
> qualities of these films.

As do I;  but of course the most dramatic way color C41 films degrade is that
the dyes of different colors fade at different rates, which I assume is less
of a concern here...

- -Jeff