Subject: Re: Capa's cameras
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 09:17:18 -0400

It's rather synchronistic that this topic came up now, as I was discussing
this with a friend yesterday, the friend being involved in the making of a
documentary on Capa's life.  (For that matter, he's going to see Cornell
Capa, whom he has known for years, later this month.)

Capa -- unlike me! -- was not an equipment freak.  As noted by Paul, he
borrowed gear in his early days.  Capa then used Leica immediately before
the War but, due to the problems in loading, switched to Contax, which he
used until his death.  Several years before this, he had added Nikon to his
stable, and had one of each with him (I recall that the Contax had colour
film and the Nikon black and white) when he was killed.

Best

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!