Subject: Re: ASPH "bokeh"/ 2nd attempt
From: ABreull@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 12:25:02 -0400 (EDT)

In einer eMail vom 19.09.1997  11:17:20, schreiben Sie:

>Huh? Could you re-phrase that; the meaning isn't coming through.
>-Charlie

Sorry - my German is definitely better.

2nd attempt:

Both lenses, the 1.4/35 Summilux ASPH and the 2/35 Summicron, "behave"/
perform completely different in the unsharp (out-of-focus) areas of a
picture:

It is my impression, that the Summilux's unsharpness is additionally
increased, either as a special property of the one aspheric lens, or by an
intended dis-correction or softening of the lens' out-of-focus performance by
Leitz (to pronounce the in-focus sharpness, additionally). In the 30ies,
Leitz did something similar with the 2/50 Summar, as Mark explained 2 or 3
weeks ago. And, as explained some days ago also, Leitz needs or likes to
present some new 35 mm lens/-es, although the "old" Summicron is/ was great.

Further, the Summilux is a high contrast lens (also) with the consequence,
that each unsharp forground or background object, which has a high contrast
by itself, is pronounced additionally by the lens' contrast properties, hence
results as an unsharp light/dark blurr - which destroys or kills a pic.

The Summicron performs completely different: The unsharpness of the Summicron
is more gradually, not suddenly (as from the Summilux). You could still
recognize an object, although it's positioned in the out-of-focus areas/
parts. Additionally, the contrast of the Summicron is moderate (in my mind),
and lower than the contrast of the Summilux, which might result in a more
pleasant impression (for the eye), even with high contrast backrounds.

By the way, there is an additional difference between both lenses: While both
lenses' sharpness is approximately equal up to ca 10 or 15 meters, the
Summicron is more sharp at infinity than the Summilux.

Hope, the 2nd attempt is ... eh, uhm ... more clear. Somehow. At least a
little.

Alf