Subject: Re: M2 Help
From: "roy" <roy@micron.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 08:56:31 -0600

Clicio,

>>I'm in the process of buying a M-2 with a Summaron 35/3.5 and a CL Rokkor
90/4.
> It's my first Leica (after a IIIg), so I ask:<<

>> 1-) Is it true the 35mm has a very low contrast?<<

Not in my experience.  The 35 f/3.5 Summaron is a nice contrasty lens with
very pleasing tonal qualities.  I would put it about on par with a 35/2
Summicron in image quality.  It only lacks the speed and the high price of
the Summicron.

>> 2-) Is it true that the 90mm has a focus problem with Leicas M?<<

Not in my experience.  My 90/4 Elmar-C works fine on each of my M cameras
at all the distances I have used it at, which is everything on its scale.

>> 3-) What signs of wear and tear should I look in the camera body before
I buy?

Check the shutter closely to make sure it is not stiff and dry.  Operate
and listen to function at each shutter speed.  If it doesn't sound crisp
and clean it probably isn't.  Check the rangefinder for signs of
discoloration, lack of contrast, an obvious tendency of the
rangefinder/viewfinder towards a heavy salmon color (signs of decementing
which is very costly to repair).  If, overall, it appears to have been
reasonably well taken care of it probably was.  Look for dirt and what not
inside.  If it is to be a user it can show signs of honest wear and still
be a fine camera.  Obvious neglect should tell you that trouble may be
lurking deep inside.