Subject: digest alternative - best for UNIX
From: Arthur Wouk <awouk@nilenet.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 22:09:05 -0600

the digest format was developed when the whole net was unix. it goes
along with mailreaders which allow me with a single keystroke to go
from the top of one message to the next without ever seeing what is in
between, unless i wish to do so. if i wish to track a subject, that is
a single command.

it is my understanding that good software is not available in the
commercial world. based on my experience on my daughter's  mac
systems, i have seen empirical confirmation. so, unless you are in
the unix world, the digest won't do you much good.

oh, and let's don't start an off-topic discussion of operating systems -
just take it from me that the digest was designed about unix software,
and unix software contains good digest reading capabilities. for other
systems, find the appropriate formats. it is much like choosing the
right lens for a shot, or even the right camera/film combination.

(a friend in the business who knows both dos/nt systems and unix
confirms my belief, by the way.)