Subject: Re: Z2X- a bit long sorry
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@instinet.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 12:09:50 -0400

> Despite
> storing the focal and exposure settings, the camera does not seem to
> actually focus till the shutter is depressed, causing a delay in exposure
> somewhat longer than I had expected.

This is a common annoyance with point-n-shoots, possibly fatal flaw if your
main expected use involves wading in among moving people.  Otherwise appealing
cameras which have this problem include:

  - the Contax T2 (IMHO the most physically appealing of the bunch)

  - the remarkable-bargain Yashica T4 Super (cheap, light, nice Zeiss-designed
    glass, drizzle-resistant)

Cameras which I believe drive the lens into position at focus-lock time,
either always or as a settable option, include:

  - the Minolta TC-1 (many appealing features, nice optics;  actually *too*
    compact for easy handling in my experience)

  - the Leica Minilux (kinda boxy and ugly, but possibly the best optics of
    the lot)

  - the Nikon 35Ti/28Ti (?) (also boxy, but cool retro dials)

Sometimes the M6 is too heavy/bulky to carry with you at all times, or too
expensive to want to worry about.  The $150 Yashica, despite its limitations
(including the exposure delay treated here, little exposure control, and the
need for parallax guesstimation) has none of those problems.  Everyone should
have at least one;  they can be treated as consumables.

- -Jeff