Subject: Re: long lenses/M
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 09:22:56 -0800

ted grant wrote:

> Harrison wrote:
>
> <<<<BUT I did see a fellow shooting the Carolina Panthers -v- Kansas
> City NFL game hand holding a Nikon 500 4P lens.  That is what I call a REAL
> shooter!!!;)>>>>>
>
> Hi Harrison,
>
> I have only seen one person hand holding a Canon, non-auto focus 400 2.8
> shooting sports, it is my number two son, Scott.:)   He uses it in that
> manner shooting figure skating at the Olympics and any other such events.
>
> ted

At the America's Cup races here in SD, most of the pros were out all day
using 600 f/4 and hand holding.  Usually also had a 300 f2.8 around neck
to alternate.  And this on a rocking boat.  The vibration of the engine
would have invalidated the stick anyway.  One photographer did wear one
of those leather fishing pole end holders that strap around the waist.
He used it with monopods and seems to work well.  He could float his
body with the wave action.  Would work well for Figure skating, too.

A cinematographer friend has a shoulder unit that works hands free, and
I have wondered if it would be possible to adapt it for 35mm camera.

And Ted, has there been no Leica brainwashing of number two son??

Donal Philby
San Diego