Subject: Re: 90/2.8--internal reflections
From: dannyg1@IDT.NET
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 19:41:17 +0000

Alexander,

> > BTW why do many of the luggers use xxx as an extension for the
> > serialnumber. What harm can it do when you know the serialnumber of
> > one of my lenses or camera?

Like credit card, social security and checking account numbers, widely publicizing an ID
number that is used to verify ownership could be construed by a court of law as an
irresponsible action; when/if it led to someone trying to steal from you.

Though many people demand personal information as some sort of 'proof' that you are
whom you say you are (The left blank 'personal profile' thing on CIS and AOL is still
thought of as a sign of dishonesty), I've noticed that the only people who want the info,
want it to use it harmfully.

An item that is for sale can be verified as not stolen/etc. by the serial # minus the last 2
digits. There really isn't any reason to divulge any more info than that.

Danny Gonzalez