Subject: Re: Off topic:help on enlarger
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 23:20:39 -0500

At 09:31 AM 9/24/97 +0200, you wrote:
>Years ago I had pretty nice results, but the way to judge my work has
>now completely changed (that damn Leica).
>The lens is a Nikon 50/4:is the quality level acceptable?
>Do you, guys, think should be better to use a Leitz lens to be
>consistent with the camera ones?

Yes, you should use a Leica lens, eventually. And I would suggest
eventually getting a Leica enlarger. The IC is great, and the V35 is to die
for! The image quality from them is very nice. Expensive, though, so wait
until you're really into printing before committing to one. You'll never
regret it. (The only thing I regret is being in the financial position of
having to sell my V35!)

>Which Leitz lens would you suggest?Price?

The 50mm Focotar II is a wonderful lens. I've seen them for $400 or $500
U.S. But my all time favorite it the one native to the V35, the 40mm 2.8
Focotar. I have prints made with it that are much better than with Rodagon
and Schneider APO lenses I've used in rental darkrooms. Not necessarily
sharper, mind you - just like Leica's camera lenses. Just different.

>And I forgot almost everything about the technique, but I don't want to
>bother you with trivial questions (the memory will come up with the
>practice). Just one, not to abuse your patient:
>Any good book about darkroom technique to advise ?
>What about Ansel Adams' The Print? Some more?

Not trivial at all. But I think you can't go wrong with Anel's "The Print."
Much better than any of the "beyond the zone system" type books from Ansel
wannabes.

Good luck, and have fun! If you have any questions, email me any time.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.