Subject: Re: Leitz prospectus from 1935
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 17:57:42 -0700

Alf Breul wrote:

>..."). Additionally, Leitz has a short remark on the out-of-focus performace
>of the Summar, which I unfortunately cannot translate (since my english is
>to poor). Maybe somebody else can do it, it says about the bokeh:
>
>"... schliesslich in der auffaelligen "Raumzeichner"-Wirkung, die sich durch
>allmaehlichen sanften Uebergang der Schaerfegrade ausserhalb des
>eigentlichen Tiefenschaerfenbereichs angenehm bemerkbar macht und dem Bild
>eine deutlich gesteigerte, harmonische Bildwirkung verleiht."

I would translate this as:

"...lastly in the conspicuous 3-dimensionality, which is noticeable through
the gradual, soft transitions between the zones of decreasing sharpness
outside of the zone of actual depth of field, and which lends the image a
distinctly increased harmonious pictorial effect."

This is obviously a fairly literal translation, but does give a sense of
the knowledge of the importance of what has now been re-discovered as
'bokeh'.

   *           Henning J. Wulff
  /|\     Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\      henningw@archiphoto.com