Subject: Re: Interview questions-off topic sort of.
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 12:47:54 -0800

Harrison McClary wrote:

>How often do people page through a magazine to "just read
> the articles."
>
> As a photojournalist we are responsible
> for bringing back the photos of the event we are covering and in many
> instances we are the only "on scene" person so we have to provide information
> for the wordsmiths, and in many cases write the story.  This is really true if
> shooting for a wire service/agency where you are providing ALL of the
> information with your photos.  I have never seen a writer capable of doing all
> of this (most writers I have worked with can't even handle a point and shoot
> camera!), but we are the ones looked upon as a ragtag second thought to the
> journalism world.  It is a proven fact a weak story with excellent art will
> get better play in publication.  After all most people only look at the photos
> anyway!

Harrison:
I started univerisity to be a writer but took a photo course along the
way and was introduced to the docuentary tradition especially the people
from Magnum     What I discovered was that the writer has to tell the
FACTS while the photographers could tell the eMotional side  That was so
appealing that I switched careers    Of course it takes a good
photographer to capture that eMotional side

On another note to another post  YES images do sell papers  BUT images
of celebrities sell More Magazines than do iMages of news or trouble

So Many publication do self fulfilling prophecy by using boring photos

I remember  recently looking at German agazine FOCUS--supposedly a great
consuMer of photos--and not seeing a single iMages except for ads that
were worth looking at    If people didnt read the Magazine there wasnt
anything else

Donal Philby
Kauai Hawaii (where I sat naked on the porch this early early Morning
listening to the rain and the warm wind in the palms and knew there are
a few things to do as wonderful as taking pictures)