Subject: Re: V35 Enlarger
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 19:53:46 -0800

Gary Todoroff wrote:
> On my 1C, I used a "chemical focus" technique describe in a 1970's "Leica
> Photography" article. You determined precise focus by inspecting the
> developed prints that were done at slightly different settings, then
> locking in the helical ring. From that point on, I never gave focus a
> second thought on the 1C.

Gene Nocon--a gentleman who runs lab across the street from studio and
has printed for many greats uses a blue filter in his focusing tool
Without it he says prints arent truly focused  He showed me print
coparisons and he is right    Probably big factor at wider F stops
Apparently this is standard knowleddge among high level lab types   When
I get back into do my own printing I will definitely get the
filter       maybe APO lenses dont need it   I`ll ask when I return

> One other problem I'm curious if anyone else has noted on a V35: the amount
> of light with the quartz-halogen bulb does not seem very bright. Just to do
> an 8x10 on a dense neg (say 2-3 stops overexposed) can take 20-30 seconds
> at f4. I would like to be always using f5.6, but even normal negs can
> require very long burning in times for 8x10.

Dont the bulbs come in different wattages

Donal Philby
Kauai Hawaii (still with some non-working keys on laptop--sorry)