Subject: Re: Ralph Gibson--Leica photographer
From: Kari Eloranta <kve@dopey.hut.fi>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 14:03:22 +0300 (EET DST)

Joe Berenbaum wrote:
> I suppose this is as good a place as any to ask-could someone fill in this
> gap in my knowledge with a short definition or explanation- what exactly IS
> fine art photography? I have a very vague idea and I'd really like to know.
> It sounds like I might want to do it.

Fine Art is what's displayed in Fine Art Galleries. These people
spend the first half of their life in adjusting the Hassy or Linhof
to perfection and then the second half in the darkroom. ;-)
Gibson strolls the streets and shoots puny 35mm frames but still his
images can be put next to the orthodox Fine Art. Now, that is a risky
venture and requires some serious skill and originality to make it
captivating enough.

No, I cannot define Fine Art. When one doesn't do documentary, Fine Art
is often attempted. Sometimes the resulting inner vision is very fine
indeed.

BTW Leica has made some M-adds around his pictures. An Arizona view
through a car windscreen comes to mind.

Kari