Subject: Re: Wisdom from the Usenet!
From: "David W. Almy" <dalmy@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 15:10:07 -0400

Roger Beamon wrote:

> Though not a flame, I thought those of you who don't get your
> chuckles from the Newsgroups would enjoy this piece from
> rec.photo.equipment.35mm.
>
> Not to worry, however, because William is obviously talking about a
> different camera, whatever a Lecia is. Would you care to bet on
> whether
> he's ever owned one?

> From: Animus@webtv.net (William Fisher)
> Newsgroups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm
> Subject: Re: Focusing Lecia M cameras
> Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997
>
> When the focusing mechanism is perfectly adjusted, you can't beat an M
>
> for quick and accurate, silent focusing. The trouble is, the mechanism
>
> usually isn't perfectly adjusted, and sometimes it is way out of
> adjustment, but you never know for sure until you get back from your
> assignment. Then its too late. Lecias are fun for amatuer use, but
> should never be relied on when it comes to paycheck photography.

Roger,

My response, posted to usenet, below:
- -------------------

William,

  You're nuts. I use Leicas (not Lecias), both an M6 and an R8,
  professionally, every day. Both work splendidly, using optics of a
  quality unavailable elsewhere. And I have lots of paychecks to prove
it,
  and none lost due to misfocusing.

  M series focus misalignments simply aren't as common as you allege.
  Sorry that you were misinformed on this point.

  Best regards,

  David W. Almy
  Annapolis, Maryland