Subject: Re: Summitar / Iris?
From: barney@sgi50.wwb.noaa.gov (Barney Quinn)
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 97 10:29:20 -0400

Barney mis-spoke himself. I do believe I meand Summar, a pre-world war
II lens with f-stops which ran from 2 - 12 (?). I'm sorry. Somedays I
am quite dangerous early in the morning.

Barney

Marc> At 01:47 AM 10/1/97 -0400, Marvin Moss wrote:

>> I don't know what Barney means by "funky f-stops" but I have always
>> wondered what the reason was for using double iris blades on some
>> Summitars and hexagon (?) on others and even a convex shaped iris
>> in addition to the normal issue. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Marc> Oh, I've owned a couple with the double iris.  I can think of no optical or
Marc> mechanical reason for this set-up, but these are rare enough to have a lot
Marc> of collector interest.

Marc> Over to you, Erwin!

Marc> Marc

Marc> Marc James Small