Subject: Re: Focusing SLR vs M
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 23:47:03 +0200

Use the camera and system which you like most. The RF/ SLR discussion is as
old as SLRs exist, with the generally accepted result, that a RF is more
nice/ easy with wideangle lenses or low light condition, and SLR's focusing
with longer lenses or macro pix.

If you like your SLR, you can manage almost all problems without
difficulties, and if you like an M mount, it's true also. And there is no
need to mention, that any object which is more close than the distance on
your meter/ feet scale (= overestimation) shows as double on the left side
within the Leica rangefinder area, and each object which is more far
(=underestimation) at the right side. Leitz does it that way since more than
60 years, no matter which screw or M mount Leica model.

Unfortunately, the logic of the diodes of the M6 lightmeter is the opposite
way round. Here, the overestimation is signaled on the right side, and the
opposite logic makes you turn the focus ring into the wrong direction rather
often. Besides, you can get completely confused, if you use Nikons and
Leicas at teh same time, since both distance scales turn opposite also.

Alf