Subject: Re: T400CN
From: PhotoZone Gallery <fotozone@efn.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 09:30:08 -0700

At 02:55 PM 9/27/97 -0700, you wrote:

>I've used XP2 and am a recent T400CN convert. My XP2 experience was limited
>(1 or 2 rolls), but T400CN is obviously finer grained (indistiguishable
>from TMAX 100) and delivers smoother tonal variations and richer blacks
>than I found in XP2. I encourage you to try a roll at ISO 200.
>
>The subject of true speed for T400CN has come up a couple of times. I
>performed a standard Zone System test of it's speed point (Zone 1 = 0.1
>over base level + fog) using my photo lab's calibrated X-Rite transmission
>densitometer and their standard Kodak C-41 processing. This processing
>should be consistent from lab to lab (if they are at all competent). The
>true speed was almost dead on ISO 200.
>
>It's very important to realize, however, that the response of T400CN to
>variation in exposure is very different than for a conventional B+W film.
>Exposing at ISO 200 as opposed to 400 doesn't require an adjustment in
>processing. I asked for N-1 processing on my first roll exp. at ISO 200 and
>got flat negatives (small density range). My last roll at ISO 200 developed
>normally came back with excellent density range: easy to print on grade 2
>or 3 with my condenser enlarger.
>
>Kodak states that exposing at ISO 50 to 800 is possible and requires *no
>adjustment* to processing time. A push to ISO 1600 requires increased
>development (+20% I think).
>
>I haven't tried the film at anything aside from 200 and 400. I suspect,
>however, that Kodak has done an accurate job of describing he behavior of
>this unique emulsion in their literature and that it will perform very well
>when handled according to their recommendations. Their tech sheet on T400CN
>can be found at
>http://www.kodak.com/ppiHome/technicalPubs/ePubs/f2350
>
>It's a remarkable film. Give it a try.
>
>-Charlie

I found in trying the T400CN that the highlights seemed to have less separation
than TMAX in Xtol, and that the black areas seem to print too dark. Better
results may have been obtained by exposing the film at ASA 200.
I recently heard from a Kodak rep that T400CN can be developed in straight Xtol
8 minutes at 68 degrees.  This is supposed to give an excellent scale and the
fine grain of TMAX 100.  The film should be used at ASA 200.

Herman
www.efn.org/~hkrieger