Subject: Re: M6 versus M3
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 01:23:30 +0200

At 16:58 03.10.1997 -0400, you wrote:
>I am wondering if I should take advantage of the current discount and trade
my M3 for a new M6.

- ---- snipped

> My guess is that it would be a lot faster than either my MR meter or a
hand held.  It would be nice not to see my wife's eyes roll every time I
pull the camera out when we are hiking.  Is it more accurate?

Hi Steve,

the answer is 'no' to the first and the second question, from my point of
view. Although it's very very nice to use a 35 without goggles, the
lightmeter alone doesn't make the diffreence. Evidently you estimate light
rather correct/ly (?). And, I know from experience, that I measure light
once (to get a general impression of the present brightness), and than I
take pix ... shadow - no problem, 1 to 1.5 f-stops down. Sometimes I measure
a second time after an hour or so [during daylight :)], because I get
unsecure. But, usually the light is still the same.

I bought a M6, and a M3 afterwards. The M6 lightmeter is absolutely in
agreement with my Lunalite. But it confuses me (I turn the focus ring into
the wrong direction eeach and very time again by the opposite logic compared
to the rangefinder), and it stops me from taking pix, because it's rather
sensible also.

If you like to change the M3 to a M6, then because of the frames, not
because of the lightmeter.

And, I know wifes' and other delicious creatures' rolling eyes also :)

Alf