Subject: Re: Bokeh (again); Japanese L-mount lenses
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 1997 16:26:32 -0500

At 03:11 PM 10/5/97 -0400, you wrote:
>The only thing I can see that might make sense is if someone made a lens
>that Leica doesn't offer. Now that Leica has filled about the only "hole"
>in the M lens line with the 24mm, it would have to be something wider
>than 21mm. Longer than 135 wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Good thinking, and there is wider - the Contax 16mm Hologon. That is a good
alternative if you buy one of the lenses modified to go on the M6. Of
course, we can hope Leica will license it form Zeiss the way they do the
15mm Super Angulon.

As for longer, there's really no need on a rangefinder. It makes much more
sense to by an R8 and get the long lenses that Leica is developing now.
(Money is a problem for sure in this area considering the topic is bargain
clone Leica lenses. <g>). I look forward to some day having a 24 mm Aspheric.

>It seems especially strange to me that someone felt there was a need for
>an alternative to the 35mm Summicron, for instance.

Just a 35 Summicron aspheric :-) especially considering the insignificant
price difference with the regular Summicron. Has it replaced the current
Summicron? Then there's the Summilux Aspheric.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

The distinction between past, present and future is only an illusion, even
if a stubborn one. - Albert Einstein