Subject: Experience with Summicron 35 Asph
From: c.blaue@bmsg.de
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 16:03:03 +0100

Here are my first experiences with the new Lens:
I used it with Fuji Velvia and got very good pictures. They seem not to be
outstanding in sharpness or contrast (although they probably are) but they are
just natural. They show the smell of the air, the chatting of the people...
I was absolutely stunned by the performance at f2. It seems as if the aperture
is needed only to control depth of field. Both sharpness and contrast leave
nothing to be desired at f2.

I made pictures at a kite festival and was very pleased by the
focal length I didn't have before. I still have to learn to use the depth of
field. It is difficult to guess with a rangefinder since I am not used to wide
angle.

The lid comes easy off the hood. When carrying at the side it is easy stripped
off, so be warned.
I wandered if somebody attached the lid with a strap on the hood - any experience?

Anyway: no regrets in spending the pile of money.

christoph

P.S. I exposed a Kodak Elite 50 under almost the same circumstances and was a
bit disappointed. Although very sharp and probably very natural colours the
pictures are not as catching as with Velvia.