Subject: Re: Who's not so bright..........
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 10:10:05 -0500

At 11:45 PM 10/8/97 -0700, you wrote:
>At 01:20 AM 10/9/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>That is not correct. If there wasn't then there would be no "rangefinder"
>>effect.
>>

>Well... I believe it is true! And so did the instructors at a Leica
>workshop I attended.

So who would have put them in in the first place, if they didn't work?

>47, George Nakamura (Nikon), Sherman Gavette (Nikon), Sherman Hines
>(Contax, Pentax 6x7), John Forker (Leica), Roger Beamon (Leica), Tim
>Harding (Canon),... uh... too many to explicitely name here. And you are
>not interested anyway.

I asked, didn't I? You seem to be the one who isn't interested in exploring
the possibilities, by making flat statements like they are garbage. They
don't work. There is zero rangefinder base.

Ted Grant, do you feel this way? (He teaches Leica workshops).

>Did this really sound like a serious statement???

It's hard to tell sometimes, when words like "garbage" are thrown around.
Extreme statements tend to color the rest of a communication.

I'm sure they don't work for you, and your opinion is perfectly valid. The
problem is making such strong statements in front of many inexperienced
people can cause them to never even explore the possibilities that such a
device might work for them.

A good example is how so many people think 50mm lenses are boring, just
because some people have said so. It is certainly an opinion (uninformed in
my opinion, but valid for them). We have to be careful to make what we say
clear so that those who are new to this profession, or hobby or pastime
don't get the wrong impression and don't explore a tool that might work for
them.

Go ahead and say you don't think it works for you. That's great. But don't
take offense when we disagree and give reasons for it. This is a forum to
explore. Let's explore!

(I'm exploring my new 35 Summilux Aspheric. What a lens!!!!)

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

Prepositions are not words to end sentences with.