Subject: Re: Latest 50mm Elmar...How good?
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 14:44:10 -0400

Mike asked:

<snip>I am thinking of getting one of the new type 50mm Elmars because the
small physical depth of the lens plus body would mean I would be able to
take it anywhere...
<snip>

I have the current model chrome 50 elmarit collapsible lens.  It is quite
small with very good optics.  I usually shoot at f5.6.  I often wish it was
a Summicron design since in lower light, the f2.8 always seems too small.
The diaphram has fewer blades than the original version of this lens.  I
don't know if this has an effect on the out of focus images or "bokeh".
The chrome model is much heavier than the black model.

Interestingly Leica has priced this lens the same as the Summicron f2.0
version.  I guess like many businesses they have a minimum charge for a new
lens - which is about $995.

I would highly recommend the small screw on lens shade.  It makes the lens
a little longer but helps to cut glare from bright point sources of light.

I hope this has been helpful.

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD
West Chester, PA