Subject: Re: Camera Bags (my opinion)
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 18:01:56 -0700

At 08:35 AM 10/13/97 -0800, Donal wrote:
>LUGnuts:
>
>A Billingham will probably be my next serious bag(s).  Keeping
>increasingly electronic cameras safe from elements (including dust) is
>important, as is access, especially when working fast and furious with a
>fully packed bag.  The bigger the bag, the less fumbling.  Also, several
>manufacturers make rain covers, mostly designed for the 600mm football
>shooters, that might work with shorter lenses for working in weather.
>
>Donal Philby

Donal,

I bet no one thought I would have an opinion... :-)

I carry all of my Leica R equipment in a Tamrac backpack (#787). Not the
Super Trekker. I tried the Super but couldn't lift it after filling it. The
only piece outside is my 350 which is in it's own case. I use my Billingham
bag to carry a subset when shooting in the field. Depending upon what I'm
doing, I may just carry the Tamrac pack. The Billingham will EASILY carry:
two R bodies with winders, 24, 35, 50/60, 100, 180, 1.4x, 2x, 15 filters
(E55, E60, E67) in two Domke wallets (one 9 slot, one 6 slot), Cokin P
holder and two ND & two Color Grads, two cable releases, two electric
releases, two hot shoe bubble levels, lens cleaner (ROR), and 20 rolls of
film, and other miscellaneous trinkets. My folding bucket to hang on my
"steady Hook" fits in the flat back zipper pocket. Sometimes instead of the
100 and 180 lenses, I carry the 70-180 APO zoom. My wife modified a stock
Billingham partition to fit the 70-180. Oh yeah... you have to use the
Domke "postal" shoulder pad. Absolutely worth it's weight in gold. If you
don't use it, you'll go "postal" before days end!

The bag is easy to work from. The bag opens via a zipper down the middle
which allows direct entry for grabbing stuff. The outer cover folds back
out of the way. The main compartment opening can be snapped open. Built-in
snaps are positioned so you can fold the zipper sides back and snap them in
place. The bag now gapes open for really easy access. Billingham seems to
have thought of everything.

Everyone has their favorite bags and methods. When you get as old as I am,
you have been through a kazillion bag camera combinations. My wife & kids
call me the bag man as I'm always trying new bags. I had my favorite bag (a
leather bag made by ROX in Germany) stolen in SFO. After searching and
trying, I settled on the Billingham. I now actually like it better than my
ex ROX bag. I've had the Billingham for many years. I got it when they
first appeared here in the US. I don't know its model number. It's about
16"L x 8"W x 9"tall The only thing happening is the canvas is starting to
pull away from the leather trim on the front edge of the large outer flap.
I should probably get it fixed. You can remove the partitions, lift up the
bottom pad and fold the whole bag flat. Great bag. I would indeed buy another.

When I'm wandering, like on vacation, or just searching, I carry the
Billingham loaded somewhat like stated above. I also carry a Gitzo carbon
(G1228) tripod and B1 ball head. Neat package.

Jim