Subject: A Leica is a viewfinder camera, not a SLR (was: winder ...)
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 18:43:58 +0200

I completely agree, Marvin.

If you speak of a Leica, then it's associated with a very special viewfinder
camera. The trademark/ brand is identified with the product. It's the same
with a Porsche or a Coke. Exactly on that reason the Leitz people adopted
the name Leica for their SLR also, to transfer the Leica's reputation on
their SLR. It's the same if persons claim to know some celeb: They hope,
that something of the celeb's glamour might stick to their fingers also.
And, as you can see in the throat cutting threatenings from June (sorry, I
subscribed in August), it works with some persons already. Although - in my
mind - in general people associate e.g. a Nikon with a SLR and not a R
Leica. She's too young, too unexperienced, and there are too many ojections.

Alf