Subject: Adventures with the R8
From: n5xrd@juno.com (Richard W. Hemingway)
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 22:17:13 CDT

Lugs,

Just came back from a 3500-4000 mile second honeymoon (50th) auto  trip
through NE USA and Canada. After being a long time M user, I have changed
to a quasi-leica (spurious Leica?) R8 and took a R4, 24/2.8, 35/2.0,
50/2.0. 90/2.8 and 180/2.8.  Used Kodachrome 25 in the R8 and Kodachrome
200 and Elite 200 in the R4.  About  80 % of the slides were taken with
the 24 or 35.  I felt that the M was probably easier to focus (old eyes)
and the R 8 had better (or quicker) exposure metering.

I was apprehensive about whether the slide quality (and Leica  look)
would equal the slides I had taken for years with the M cameras. I am
overjoyed with the results.  All the lenses (even the minolta Leica 24mm)
are very sharp and have the three demensional quality I have enjoyed
before.

Only problem with the R8 - at one point I noticed that the winder would
not advance the film and it seemed locked up.  I was so upset that I
opened the back and took out the film in broad daylight (about 5 pictures
on it plus goodness knows how many in one exposure).  It was locked up
alright.  About 5 hours later it occured to me that maybe, just maybe,
the lever on the top right of the R8 had been pushed over for multiple
exposure!!!  Sure enough - it was!!!  Since I never take multiple
exposures - I never thought of it.  Getting older and slower all the
time.

Only odd thing I noticed about the R8, left it on matrix metering most of
the time, was that if I took a picture along a street with the forground
in a shadow and the background in the sun, that the shadow area was
properly exposed and the background overexposed.  This was the reverse of
what I normally expect and what the R4 would effect.  Also on some shots
of the falls (yes, we went to Niagra Falls - but stayed at a great
village, Niagra on the Lake in Canada) with the R8 where the white of the
falls dominated the picture - the whole thing was somewhat over exposed.

Should have used the spot meter and locked in the exposure from a 19%
gray area, ie grass, Domke bag etc.  With the M6 I would have used an
incident meter.

Too bad it isn't a real Leica.  I always thought if it said Leica on the
front it really really was one.  But sure enough I looked on the bottom
of the camera and there it was:
"Generic SLR, made mostly in Germany" Sob!!

Richard Hemingway
Norman, OK