Subject: Re: Alf's Leicas and my M6 and 35mm ASPH 1.4
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 00:38:48 -0500

At 11:54 PM 10/14/97 -0400, you wrote:
> Eric - I agree with you completely - I was merely stating what I had
> the Leica Rs are great but they smell different from the Ms.

Yes,

That's a good way of putting it. I am finding my new Leica M6 better,
smoother than my previous one (vintage late 80s I think - 1772777 - the new
one is way over 2,XXX,XXX). Brand new with Passport. I have never used a
camera that was so "pleasurable" to use, including several M5s, M4s and
M3s. Film advance is buttery smooth, and the shutter click is as quiet as
I've ever heard. Maybe Leica's finally got the M6 down, or am I just lucky?

But the lens! The 35mm Summilux ASPH. is outstanding. When I shoot towards
extremely strong light sources that are in the picture, the flare is
contained right around the light source (film is blown out) but there is NO
FLARE anywhere else, including those nasty little ghosts! At first it was
disconcerting, I've never seen flare handled this way by a lens. Not even
the 35mm Summilux R. 'Til I realized with my Nikon lenses the whole picture
would have been washed out. This is one superb lens. And it sure is nice to
shoot available light and get the "Leica look" again. I've missed it. The
Bokeh is quite interesting. (Good). And the circular out of focus
highlights show the many blades in the aperture. Quite round.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.