Subject: Re: Pretenders to the Throne
From: "shawnl@earthlink.net" <shawnl@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 17:45:30 +0000

>This dissertation, of course makes sense, except for the "REAL" part (last
>sentence.) If it looks leica Leica, feels leica Leica, sounds leica Leica,
>and has the name "Leica"... it must be a Leica! You know... the duck analogy!
>
>Real, as opposed to... fake ?

It seems that Mr. Gandy was attempting to make the point (quite
successfully, in my mind) that the word
"Leica" is more than a brand name which is stamped on the body of the
camera at the factory.  It is also a certain mystique, heritage, and
perfection of design which has endeared so many people to the M cameras.
It is a feeling, much like the elusive "bokeh", which makes cameras such
as the M's a thoroughly unique experience in photography today.  It seems
that the R cameras, specifically the R8 as it is referred to by Mr.
Gandy, lack this quality in that they are merely an interation of the
common SLR camera.