Subject: Re: Pretenders to the Throne
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 22:20:29 -0500

At 09:26 AM 10/15/97 -0700, you wrote:
>> At 00:43 15.10.1997 -0500, Eric wrote:
>Leica knows Rangefinders and glass, but when it comes to figuring out
>those new fangled SLR things, look out.  Nope, I don't find Leica's SLR
>body designs up to snuff, and in that sense, I don't consider them
>Leicas.
>
>You see, to be a REAL Leica, it has to be among the very best of the
>very best.

Cameras are a box that lets light in. AF is handy for sports shooters, in
those situations where they need it. But Leica's SLR bodies are not the
reason to own them. It's for the lenses you can't mount on a rangefinder.
The glass is the best of the best, and thus, qualifies as Leicas. Bodies
are peripherals to keep lenses working. M or R.

Leica's M camera bodies have been challenged by only the Contax G series.
Hardly a "best of the best" situation. Leica's rangefinders are best of the
best only because there hasn't been competition.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

My computer's sick. I think my modem is a carrier.