Subject: R and M and Roger, Ted, Alice, and Schnitzelfritz
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 23:57:08 -0400

R, M, V, or whathaveyou, the Wizards of Wetzlar are now the Wizards of
Solms and so be it.  A Leica is a Leica is a Leica.

I don't shoot R but that isn't because I don't like the R's, it's because I
can't take pictures easily with an SLR.  But I have owned and used R gear,
and it is superb, all of it, even the R3 and R4.

I cheerfully admit to being a retro freak who glories in taking
idiosyncratic pictures with gear obsolete before my father was graduated
from high school.  But I also enjoy a few amenities, such as the M6's
meter.  And, while I still believe, in my soul of souls, that They Did
Things Better In The Olden Days, nonetheless, the new glass coming out for
the M's make the system a wonderful mix of new and old.

Having said that, I could say the same about the R's:  Leica have melded
old traditions and new technology to produce a wonderfully effective system
camera.

I wish we'd close down this thread and get onto something important, like
how Ted managed to get his client to pick up the cleaning bills from his
latest, er, medical encounter.

Marc

Marc James Small
Cha Robh Bas Fir, Gun Ghras Fir!