Subject: Re: Pretenders to the Throne
From: "Matthew A. Cenzer" <mcenzer@nwu.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 10:34:59 -0500

Greetings,
I hesitate adding to what is already a convoluted discussion of what
constitutes a real Leica but it seems to me that we should not be judging
the hardware but the results. For me the question is not are Leica Rs the
best SLR cameras or are  Leica Ms the best RF cameras. The question is does
either system allow me to produce pictures which satisfy the highest
standards?
I started shooting with another brand of SLRs and bought a Leica M so that
I could see for myself if the images were really as good as the reputation.
For me, they were even better. The other camers started to collect dust
because I just wasn't satisfied with the image quality. The problem was
that I still wanted to do things which the M couldn't, such as close-up and
long-lens work. I sold the other SLRs and bought some R equipment. Now I am
happy with the images produced by both systems. I would conceed that in
some cases (e.g. if you need auto-focus which I don't) the Leica R bodies
have limitations. Still, for me the images I produce with my R camera are
as satisfying as those I produce with my M, and therfore I consider both
real Leicas.  In the end, don't we use Leicas for the results (pictures,
remember those things)?
M. Cenzer

- --
Matthew A. Cenzer