Subject: Re: Hypericum
From: ChipZHZ@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 11:23:33 -0400 (EDT)

<< special selective 5-HT
 >re-uptake inhibitor Fluoxetine, >>
I tried but I couldn't resist correcting such gross misinformation.
FYI:
Prozac is actually called a "serotonin selective reuptake inhibitor" not a
"special selective..." The reason it is so widely used in the US and the rest
of the world is that the side effects profile(especially cardiac, but also
extrapyramidal) is much lower than the other,older antidepressants including
Tricyclics with essentially the same (or better in some other comorbid
conditions such as OCD, eating disorders,etc.) levels of efficacy. They are
popular because they work at least as well as the older antidepresants and
are much better tolerated because  the side effects are most often much less.
 This is not to say on a case by case basis that some folks respond better to
this or that antidepressant(although not usually amitryptyline).

- -chip