Subject: Re: rules & laws
From: "Garbutt, Robert" <RGarbutt@ncrpexec.telstra.com.au>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 14:35:00 +1000

Jim - Thanks for your comments.  By rules I was meaning things like
don't shoot slower than 1/30s with a 50mm lens, don't shoot into the
sun, don't take landscapes between 9am and 4pm, never photograph from
behind a mob of cattle etc.

I agree with you that these aren't hard and fast rules but they are
generally passed on as such.  Each of them is valid for a particular
photographic result, but so often I have received advice without first
being asked what it is I am up to.  It is always nice that people are
friendly though, and in the end I guess that's what counts, not the
preservation of my ego.

I'd like to think of myself as a reasonably experienced photographer
but after another competition rejection letter today I have been
rendered temporarily inexperienced.  There's something going wrong here
but I don't know what it is . . .

Rob.
 ----------
 >  From: Jim Brick
 >  Subject: Re: rules & laws
 >
 >  At 09:50 AM 10/17/97 +1000, you wrote:
 >  >I find nothing more encouraging than someone walking up
 >  >to me while photographing and saying "It'll never work".  The heart
of
 >  >an image may not need tack sharpness in any case, and the rule
makers
 >  >have no inkling of your intentions.
 >  >
 >  >I like to know the rules so that I know when I am breaking them and
 >  >appreciate the possible consequences.
 >  >
 >  >Rob.
 >
 >  Hi Rob,
 >
 >  I'm not sure there are any "rules" for the experienced photographer.
An
 >  experienced photographer looks as a situation and visualizes in
his/her
         <snip >
 >  An inexperienced photographer, on the other hand, may not know how
 >  visualize the end result, and probably won't know how to manipulate
his/her
 >  tools appropriately. For these budding photographers, there are the
dreaded
 >  "basic" rules. These are the rules we read about in photo books and
         <snip >