Subject: Fall colours
From: Ian Stanley <ian@mos.com.np>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 11:00:57 +0500

Hello all,

	The fall colours are out in the Kathmandu Valley - tourists that is - the
foliage is still green.  I just came back from cruising for snaps at the
great Stupa of Swayambhunath and managed to make it up there just as the
mist was clearing, before the vendors had their stall set up and long
before the tourists arrived.  A magical place but Boudhanath Stupa on the
other side of town is still my favourite.  Quite a few of the LUG will be
passing through here over the next while and I am looking forward to seeing
old friends and meeting new ones.

	To keep this strictly in line with the group - this morning I was using an
M6, 50mm Summilux and a 90mm Elmarit.  The end result - 3 rolls of Velvia
away being processed and 1 roll of TRI-X Pan ready to be developed with
three rolls from yesterday.

	I was over in Kathmandu yesterday - down on New Road the camera store
strip of the Valley.  I spent a lot of time playing with a new F5 and a
35-70 2.8 D - very nice.  A little on the heavy side perhaps but I think I
could live with.  It makes me think back to my trip to the Stupa this
morning when there were times that I could have used a zoom lens and auto
everything.  I won't be sure whether I missed those shots until I get my
film back this afternoon but I wonder.  I guess there is no perfect camera
for every occasion is there?  I would have like to have had my 4x5 there as
well but the thought of carrying it up all those steps is enough to bring
on a heart attack.  In Nepal there is a saying that should about cover all
this " Ke Garne" - what to do??  I suppose I will stick to my M's because I
love the result that glass gives me but as my eyes age the thought of an
accurate autofocus is appealing.  After all when I went deaf I started
using hearing aids (how are yours working Ted?) so there are times when we
should embrace some of the new technology as well.  Perhaps a new F5 should
be purchased as well.

	Given the number of messages that have been coming in from the group
lately some of you should be spending less time on the computer and more
time out with your cameras.

Cheers,

Ian Stanley

Kathmandu, Nepal