Subject: Re: Dan / Would Perfect Lens have Bokeh?
From: "captyng" <captyng@vtx.ch>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 08:53:21 +0200

>the article that appeared in Photo Techniques magazine that seemed to have
>started this talk about Bokeh (at least in North America), they referred to
>some Leica lenses as having good bokeh, and others that didn't.  Much of it
>is very subjective, and probably doesn't have much basis in sober
>scientific analysis.
>
>Dan C.

Dan, you are right. If you ask Mr. K=F6lsch, the Leica optical design
engineer, he will tell you that Bokeh does not exist. And I guess that he
should know.

Despite this opinion, which I take serious as Mr. K=F6lsch is a very solid
optical engineer who learned his profession with Zeiss in Oberkochen, it is
amazing to find that Leica slides are often more glowing, more contrasty
and have more saturated colors than Nikon or Canon slides. And there is
more: shadow detail, quality of the unsharp image areas and transition from
sharp to unsharp.

The recent discussion on the Nikon 2,5/105mm illustrates this perfectly. I
happen to own one and Lucien & friends are absolutely right: the 2,5/105mm
Nikon images come out flatter (on Kodachrome) than the images made with my
Elmarit-M 2,8/90mm.

There is a difference, Bokeh or whatever, and I have difficulty in
understanding that it cannot be defined and/or measured. Once you know what
it is, the optical designer should be able to engineer it back into future
designs.

Gerard Captijn.