Subject: Joys of spring
From: firkin@netconnect.com.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 97 02:18:15 -0700

>Amen to that, Ted. I'm jumping ship.

Dear Confused Friends,

All this bickering. Having just this week aquired a 111F and held this neat
package in my pocket for the last 5 days, I would say that perhaps the
"real" Leica has yet to be discussed ;-) The LTM makes the M series look
cumbersome and "huge" and if not for some welcome updates and luck may
indeed have fallen on infertile ground like the M5. I suspect that that is
why Leica kept the camera systems running in parallel for so long and
indeed introducted yet another LTM update in the 111G before its eventual
demise. So for me the concept that the M is the only true Leica is weakened
not so much because the R series is a beast quite of another colour creed
and culture, but because the M was an upstart in itself. The
Lei(tz)ca(mera) is an evolution and we are lucky that it has held onto so
much of its teutonic background. I am learning so much about the use of
light, the values of differing lenses, (not just their focal lengths and
speed,) the differing techniques employed to capture "decisive moments" and
assorted ancilliary topics of film, chemistry, filters, bags, vests, vets,
wives, whaling, and whining, not to mention the diversity of human nature
and opinion, that I for one will ride out the 'storm' waiting for a more
solid thread to develop into which the group will collectively insert it's
teeth. No doubt pot stirring, humorous diversions and other padding will
continue to lighten my morning humour, so I will not yield,
           To kiss the ground before young Oddmund's feet,
           And to be baited with the rabble's curse.
           Though Leica lens be come to bayonet or screw,
           And thou opposed, being of no Barnack born,
           Yet I will try the last.  Before my body
           I throw my warlike shield.  Lay on, Macduff,
           And damn'd be him that first cries, 'Hold, enough!'

Alastair Firkin,