Subject: Re: Joys of spring
From: "Patrick G. Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 10:11:15 -0700

At 09:48 AM 10/17/97 -0500, Eric Welch wrote:
> I did not want to identify her, so I stood behind her (she
>only noticed me for a second) and took pictures of her silhouetted against
>a bright light and included side-lit cops from headlights. The M6's
>focusing was perfect for this...
>... (Again, no identifiable people but the
>police).  That's the M6. The F5 wouldn't have a chance with a 2.8 lens.
>That would require flash.

Eric, I was very impressed by your description of doing photography while
being sensitive to the privacy needs of people in distress.  I've always
found the voyeurism of "cops" shows, in which the camera and floodlights
linger lovingly on the face of a terrified and crying child as his or her
parent is arrested and led away, to be completely revolting.  It sounds
like you were thinking of these subjects as people even when they couldn't
think for themselves, and I'll bet that that kind of sensitivity probably
shows in your photography as well.