Subject: Re: Visoflex / Marc / Catalog
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 22:16:16 -0400

Well, the Viso III was INTRODUCED in 1963, so I hardly think that Leitz had
determined to phase out the system the following year, when the original
Leicaflex was introduced.  The Visoflex continued in production until at
least 1980:  the Navy had a final military production batch run in the late
1970's, the ones which were surplused a decade later and which have kept
the III prices so low.

The 3.5/65 Elmar was recomputed in 1970.  Both the 4/200 and 4.8/280 Telyts
had their mounts redesigned at least once after 1964.  The 2.8/180
Tele-Elmarit, perhaps the rarest of Leitz production lenses, was
introduced, and killed, in '65.  The 5.6/400/560 Telyt was introduced in
1966 and was in production for five years, and was replaced in 1971 by the
f/6.8 variant.  The 6.3/800 was introduced in 1973.

I can also run down all the Viso gee-gaws introduced after 1964, like the
14136 Televit rapid-focus doohickey, first marketed in 1966.  There are a
bunch of others, as well.

In short, Leitz clearly intended the Viso III to last a LONG time and they
invested a lot of energy in expanding the offerings of lenses and
accessories.  I suspect the decision to end the system came once the R3 and
R4 had established a firm market niche, but that wasn't until 1980 or so.
Production probably did end shortly thereafter, though the system remained
catalogued until 1984 and dealers still stocked them thereafter.  Richmond
Camera in Virginia still had an unsold III with Elmar three or four years
back and managed to get a current price for Leica when I asked how much
they wanted for it.  (I, of course, was hoping for a steal:  they smiled,
called New Jersey, and quoted me, as I recall, $2,200 for the set.)

Marc

Marc James Small
Cha Robh Bas Fir, Gun Ghras Fir!
FAX:  +540/343-7315