Subject: Soft-touch releases for Leicas
From: cmiller@berkshire.net (Curt Miller)
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 22:54:44 -0400 (EDT)

Hello LUG,

I've just had a dialogue with a recent past member of the LUG, Fred Ward, a
longstanding Leica afficianado and magazine photographer.  Fred designed a
soft-touch release especially to use on Leicas back in the '60s.  I've lived
with these for two years now and rely on them to help me deliver tack-sharp
hand-held images with my M6 and M5 down to 1/8 second with a 35mm lens (I
find they are particularly effective in squeeeeezing off shots with the M6s
because of their '2 stage' release sequence).  I ordered more of these from
him today for myself and thought I'd share Fred's original post of a couple
of years ago about these devices.  He indicated he had some more of these
for anyone interested.  Fred's address follows the message.  (ps - do not
confuse these with the cheapies in the mailorder catalogues - these are
serious stuff).

Curt

=============================  From Fred:

"In the 1961-1964 period I developed two items that were very popular and well
received by Leica photographers. Both received the support of the Leitz press
representatives in NYC at the time and both were reviewed repeatedly in the
photo magazines of the day."

"Most popular and useful was the Soft Touch Camera Release. I originally made
it for the Leica M-3 and then continued its production for use on 4s, 5s, and
6s. It was a small extender for the shutter release, made of aluminum, with a
tapered thread to fit the Leica socket. (I found that many other cameras,
even those without tapered shutter buttons, accepted the buttons and saw them
in use on Rolleis, Canons, etc. I even made a 3 piece one for Nikons once.)
What the button does is intriguing. It actually allows you much more control
of the shutter at the precise instant of release, letting you shoot at slower
speeds. I did not make this up. This was tried by hundreds of professionals
at the time and the result verified by magazine reviewers. I always cradled
my forefinger over the button, letting the tip of my finger touch the camera
top and the button rest about halfway under my finger. Then a gentle squeeze
downward released the shutter with absolutely no shake. An additional
advantage is that Leicas can be fired with heavy gloves on (try that in
winter conditions without the extension) and by people who have any
difficulty with small motor control of their fingers."

"These were made for me by a series of machine shops, each hand-made on
lathes, with a special Leitz tapered thread put on the end. While in the
basement this week I found my original box of parts, which included about 100
finished Soft Touch releases. These cost me almost $5 apiece to machine the
last time I made them in 1964. They have to be worth at least $10 today. If
anyone wants one, send $10 plus $1 for mailing to Fred Ward":

Fred Ward <fward@erols.com>

Elizabeth Mei Wong
Birding with Women Outdoors at http://members.aol.com/womenout/index.htm
           or with Berkshire County's Hoffman Bird Club

Henry Curtis Miller, M.P.A.

Pittsfield, Massachusetts
In the Berkshires, next door to Tanglewood