Subject: Re: Paris (off topic)
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 23:18:30 -0400

- --------------065ABB893B5779E6FA5BF558

TTAbrahams@aol.com wrote:
>=20
>  Ah, Paris at any time. There was a big retrospective exhibition at the
> European Centre for Photography this spring, I dont know if it is still
> there, but they have great shows. Also all the FNAC stores have
> photoexhibits. Pick up a copy of the french magazine " Photographie" or
> "Photo", they usually list all the exhibits as does the daily paper "
> Liberation". Maison de  Leica is a camerastore on Boulevard Beaumarchai=
s (
> Close to the Place Bastille) that caters to Leicaphiles. Stocks most
> everything and has some good stuff in the used department.
>  Best photographic bookstore is " La Chambre Clair" on Rue St. Sulpice =
(
> between place Odeon and Eglise St Sulpice. They stock now and used phot=
obooks
> in several languages and speak english to boot.

Snip...

Don't forget the Mus=E9e Beaubourg (Pompidou Museum) which has (had) some
HCB prints of other artists (Giacometti, Matisse) at work/play.

You might also check this site: http://www.photo.fr/ which is the French
version of Photo Magazine as well as other French travel and cultural
websites. Particularly use Pariscope's weekly happening magazine
(available at sidewalk kiosks for around 3-4 FrF) and their website
(http://pariscope.fr/index.html) for upcoming cultural events.=20

The European Photography Museum (Mus=E9e Europeenne de La Photographie at
5/7 rue de Fourcy on the Right Bank near Metro St. Paul) was where the
HCB exhibit was earlier this year. Their permanent collection is worth
seeing even if the HCB is finished. Also, there were some wonderful
prints of his that really hadn't been shown before and I thought the
print quality, with the exception of one or two, was outstanding. It was
nice to see what those older Leica lenses could do.

 Above all, as Tom mentioned, enjoy the city. Photograph it like crazy.
It is one of the most beautiful, photogenic places on earth with a
tremendous public life taking place in front of you instead of behind
closed doors as is so often the case in the United States. There seems
to be a certain tolerance for street photography that I've rarely found
elsewhere (except in the Porte du Clignancourt flea market where I
almost was thrashed for doing a grab shot from the chest of a three-card
monte hustler). Love is everywhere. I still don't know if the woman
straddling the man on the bench had any underwear on under her skirt but
the ambiguity is there in my photograph. Who said bokeh is only visual?
Go. Enjoy. Tell stories to us all.

Carl S.
- --------------065ABB893B5779E6FA5BF558

begin:          vcard