Subject: Re: f4/180 Elmar R
From: Fred Hess <fredhess@worldaccess.nl>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 09:30:20 +0100

Roger Beamon wrote:

> Any comments + or - on this lens?
> --
> Roger Beamon
>        Naturalist & Photographer
>        Leica Historical Society Of America
>        mailto:beamon@primenet.com
>
>           Thought for the day:
>       It is wrong to ever split an infinitive.
I own a olive green Elmar-R 1.4/180mm.
It is a good a objektive, mechanicaly. But the optical performance is a
littlebit poor. It shows some "pillow-shapped" distortion.
My lens also showes a brown flare. This may be caused by the
Canada-balsam-kit-layers, may be they the are oxidated. This may the
result of some smalle cracks in the lacker on the edge of the glasses.
The contact with oxygen and kit-layers sometimes changes the clour of
the kit. I sent my lens to LEICA to check it out.

It is a compact lens and performes well in the macro-range, combined
with the ELPRO's 4 & 3 and Macro-adapter-R 14256.

Kind regards,
Fred Hess

Den Haag   / the Hague
Nederland / the Netherlands (NL)

tel + 31 70 325 83 12    fax + 31 70 325 86 34